This blog is for everybody that loves healthy food

Two Ingredient Low Calorie Balsamic Salad Dressing

Ok, y’all should know by now that I’m in a phase of my life that, as compared to my Slender Student days, is far less calorie-focused.

While counting calories by keeping a food diary can be seriously effective for weight loss, it’s not necessarily sustainable in the long term. I counted calories (using My Fitness Pal) for the better part of my senior year and victory lap of college, and it left me obsessive, restrictive, not that much fun to be around, and not a pound lighter. Boo.

Since then, my food philosophy has changed (real food > weird, low calorie laboratory creations) and so has my body philosophy. I’ve become much more accepting of my body, and I spend time doing things to treat it well (eating right, engaging in physical activity that I enjoy, etc). By respecting my body, I’ve also done wonders for my mind.

That all being said, while I’m not actively counting calories right now, I’m still cognizant of them. Frankly, it’d be pretty hard for me not to be. I’m a dietitian for a fresh, healthy takeaway restaurant concept, I write a health-related blog, and I counted calories for like at least two years. I’d have to suffer from some kind of head trauma to forget the concept.

So even though I don’t demonize calories, I realize that some are more “worth it” than others. Calories that aren’t worth it to me include those (and there are usually many) in salad dressing. I’d trade in my 200 calorie, 2-ounce salad dressing serving for the same caloric value of cookies any day, anytime.

In fact, if you’d like to engage in such a trade with me, please leave a comment below.

On the reals, though, salad dressing just isn’t my thang. I quite happily opt for plain ol’ balsamic vinegar 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time, I spice it up with this two ingredient salad dressing recipe. Really, the word “recipe” is pushing it, but I wanted to share nonetheless.

* Recipe *

Two Ingredient Low Calorie Balsamic Salad Dressing

  • Prep time: 1 min
  • Cook time: 1 min
  • Total time: 2 mins

Ingredients

  • 2 parts balsamic vinegar
  • 1 part dijon mustard

Instructions

  1. Mix the ingredients together in a bowl using a fork or whisk; enjoy!
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Claire

Food Specialist

Hey, I’m Claire. I’m a 20-something registered dietitian with a penchant for real food (ft. lots of veggies), accented by the occasional wine-fueled night out with girlfriends. The Petite Professional is where I document my journey to master the balancing act, hoping that I can help you do the same along the way. Read More…

My Personal Favorites
Interesting

The ultimate resource

Explore
Related Articles

Aces of taste Chef Mike Potowski Of Benjys

Last Thursday, I sat down to one of the best meals I’ve had since moving back to Houston. Let me set the scene for you: …

Paleo Recipe Week Day 4 Burger Fries

Paleo Recipe Week Day 4 Burger Fries

Peppermint Bark Black Bean Brownie Bites

Peppermint Bark Black Bean Brownie Bites

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *