Savory oatmeal is happening in a major way right now. Over the last year or so, I’ve watched veggie, protein, & oat filled bowls pop up on restaurant menus & in food-focused social media (is there any other kind??). And while I’m certainly wont to follow culinary trends, I found it difficult to wrap my mind around a bowl of oatmeal that isn’t topped with fresh fruit and drizzled with almond butter.
So what finally greased the wheels to get this recipe on the blog? I stumbled upon the Quaker® Oats “Bring Your Best Bowl” competition, my call to action to get creative with my bowl of oatmeal, using 5 ingredients or less. While it was tempting to try and load this bowl up with a slew of rich, savory ingredients like caramelized onions, avocado, short rib, etc., I opted to keep things super simple. I was inspired by my favorite breakfast components– a soft boiled egg with a runny yolk, crispy bacon, a drizzle of truffle oil, and fresh green onions.
Sometimes less is more. Unless you’re talking about bacon, in which case, cook an extra slice (or 3) and rejoice in the beauty of life and cured meat.
Another awesome thing about this recipe, aside from the presence of bacon and #yolkporn, is that all ingredients can be sourced from the same shop. I happened to have a gifted bottle of truffle oil on hand from my parent’s recent trip to Italy (hi, Mom & Dad!), but I got the remainder of the ingredients from Walmart, and confirmed that they carry truffle oil as well. Shmancy, no?
If you want to best my bowl, I encourage you to enter your own recipe (and $250,000)! The contest is open through March 12, 2016 and top entries will be created & sold in stores.
* Recipe *
Truffled Bacon Oatmeal
- Prep time: 20 mins
- Cook time: 10 mins
- Total time: 30 mins
- Serves: 1 serving
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Quaker® Oats Old Fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup water
- 1 slice bacon, cooked & chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1 teaspoon truffle oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
- To soft boil your egg, start with an egg at room temperature. You can speed up this process by placing the egg in warm water for a few minutes.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, and then place your egg in it. Cook for 6 minutes.
- Remove the egg from the hot water and immediately plunge into cold water.
- While the egg cools in its shell, begin working on the rest of the ingredients.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add your Quaker® Oats and water.
- Microwave for 2-3 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Remove your egg from its shell by gently tapping and rolling the egg on a hard surface.
- Place your egg on your oatmeal, sprinkle with your bacon & green onion, and drizzle with truffle oil.
- Season with salt & pepper, and dig in!