My wintertime vegetable consumption is often pretty steady, consisting of a rotation of sweet potatoes, onions, mushrooms, and kale. Not only are these all readily available in the colder months, but they also lend themselves to cozier meals, usually accenting a rich protein.
Perhaps it’s due to our unseasonably warm winter (even for Houston, Texas), but lately I’ve been craving super light, plant-based dishes instead of the usual stews or roasted plates I might normally eat in any given January.
I would apologize to you guys for being victim to my apparently fickle seasonal preferences, but this Tomato & Citrus Salad is so fresh and full of complementary flavors that I simply refuse. Call me stubborn, or call me to say thank you after you realize that I was right all along.
* Recipe *
Tomato & Citrus Salad
- Prep time: 20 mins
- Total time: 20 mins
- Serves: 2 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- juice & zest of an orange
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 medium orange, segmented
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta or goat cheese
- 3 basil leaves, julienned
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the salad ingredients.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad based on your preference.