Listen, I’m not that picky when it comes to cocktails. While I prefer something not too sweet (I’m pretty sure that vodka cherry sours and moscato disintegrate my teeth upon contact), most of my fickle preferences are quickly forgotten once I’m out on the town, faced with the prospect of a free drink.
(…A free drink from someone I know that I’d never leave unattended. Play it safe, Petite Professionals.)
Anyway, back to what I was saying. Yeah, I’m not that selective or creative about adult beverages, which might be why you don’t see a lot of them posted here. My main rule of thumb when it comes to slender alcohol consumption is to keep it simple– wine or whiskey on the rocks. I try and stay away from calorie-laden mixers, chasers, or flavored alcohols.
Every once in awhile, though, I’m inspired to craft something new. I also happened to have a stash of grapefruit La Croix sitting in my fridge that just needed to be introduced to a little liquor.
I’m no expert, but I think this cocktail would also totally work with gin. And you can sub out the grapefruit & rosemary for any citrus or fruit + herb mix you’d like. Cucumber, basil and gin with a little unflavored La Croix? Ok, yeah definitely. Blackberries and mint? Yes girl! Now you’re really thinkin’.
‘Tis the season, right?
* Recipe *
Rosemary Grapefruit Fizz
- Prep Time: 10m
- Total Time: 10m
- Serves: 2
- Yield: 2 drinks
- 1 large grapefruit
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (plus more for garnish)
- 1/2 cup grapefruit La Croix
- 2 shots of vodka
- 2 splashes grapefruit bitters
- Halve your grapefruit and, if desired, cut off thin slivers to use later as garnish.
- Squeeze the grapefruit juice into a bowl. I got about 2/3 cup from one large fruit.
- Add the rosemary leaves from one sprig of rosemary to the grapefruit juice. Muddle with a muddler or back of a spoon.
- Evenly pour the fresh juice between two glasses.
- Add in 1/4 cup La Croix and one shot of vodka to each glass.
- Garnish and sip smart!