I glean recipe inspiration from a number of sources– restaurants, food blogs, Instagram, and cookbooks to name a few. The best ones, though, are often those that simply come to me like a genie out of a lamp, an epiphany, a sudden culinary insight.
That’s how this recipe happened, and I’m so glad it did.
For the sake of comfort and simplicity, I often stick to chicken, beef, or ground turkey when I whip it in my own kitchen. But this recipe called for something richer and slightly more exotic– local, grass-fed ground lamb. By opting for a high quality lamb, you’re likely getting a protein that’s lower in fat, but relatively higher in essential omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. It’s also an excellent source of B12 vitamins.
And the taste? This recipe has it all– a mix of savory, sweet, salty, and spiced. The savory ground lamb is accented by sautéed apples, roasted pistachios, and fresh mint. The roasted acorn squash is the perfect vehicle for these multi-faceted flavors.
If you’re a single lady (or dude) who’s deterred by this recipe’s 4 count, don’t be. I went “meal prep” on this dish and ate it for lunch/dinner throughout the week. Quite a step up from grilled chicken and steamed broccoli out of a Tupperware, eh?
* Recipe *
MOROCCAN LAMB STUFFED ACORN SQUASH
- PREP TIME: 20 mins
- COOK TIME: 30 mins
- TOTAL TIME: 50 mins
- Serves: 4 servings
- 2 acorn squash
- cooking oil of choice
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 small red onion
- 1 medium red apple
- 1 lb grass-fed ground lamb
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, plus more for garnish
- ⅓ cup chopped pistachios, plus more for garnish
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat your oven to 375 degrees and coat a baking sheet with cooking oil.
- Cut your acorn squash in half from top to bottom, and scrape out the seeds with a spoon.
- Brush the inside of the squash with oil, and season with salt & pepper.
- Place the squash cut-side down on your baking sheet, and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until fork tender.
- While the squash is baking, chop your garlic, red onion & apple to a small dice.
- Heat a large skillet coated with oil over medium heat, and brown your garlic.
- Add red onion, cooking until soft & translucent.
- Add your apple and cook until slightly browned.
- Add lamb, cumin, salt & pepper to the pan, cooking and breaking lamb up with your spoon.
- Once lamb is cooked, fold in chopped mint and pistachios
- Spoon lamb into your cooked squash and top with more mint & pistachios.