We are undoubtedly living through a smoothie bowl revolution. They’re a quintessential Instagram health food, but a blended bowl with multiple servings of fruit, copious drizzles of almond butter, and scoops of sugary granola isn’t exactly the most wholesome way to start your average Tuesday. That’s why I came up with this healthy smoothie bowl recipe, or “formula,” for an option that’s less ice cream disguised as a health food, and more nourishing morning meal.
1 CUP FROZEN FRUIT +
1 CUP FROZEN GREEN +
1 SERVING OF HEALTHY FAT +
1 SERVING OF PROTEIN +
1/2 CUP UNSWEETENED NUT MILK +
1-2 TBSP LOW SUGAR TOPPING
Combining a low sugar fruit (blueberries are my go-to) with a satiating source of fat and protein means that not only will this bowl actually keep you full through lunch, but it also won’t cause a crazy spike in your blood sugar & insulin levels like an all fruit smoothie does. I prefer using an unsweetened nut milk versus water or juice (too high in sugar anyway) because it adds some creaminess, which is my M.O. when it comes to eating my smoothie with a spoon.
When it comes to toppings, be cognizant of what you’re adding and how much. I’ve see so many healthy smoothie bowl bases go awry with crazy fruit, nut, and granola mixtures. My go-to granola is Purely Elizabeth’s grain free line. I’ll sprinkle on about half a serving with a teaspoon unsweetened cacao nibs and a dusting of shredded coconut.
And in case you need some help translating that formula into a recipe you can actually use at home, here’s exactly what I make at least a few mornings every week.
* Recipe *
CREAMY BLUEBERRY SMOOTHIE BOWL
A nourishing smoothie bowl that’ll keep you satisfied all morning. This blend of low sugar berries, fiber & phytonutrient-rich spinach, and satiating avocado & grass-fed collagen make for a truly good-for-you start to your day. No more sugar bombs disguised as health food.
- Prep Time: 10 mins.
- Serves: 1
- Yield: 1 serving
- 1 cup frozen blueberries, slightly thawed
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach, slightly thawed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 small avocado
- 10 grams grass-fed collagen (1 scoop of Vital Proteins)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 15 grams Purely Elizabeth grain-free granola (half serving)
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cacao nibs
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened shredded coconut
- Place frozen blueberries & spinach in your blender or blender cup. Pour over almond milk.
- Add avocado, collagen, and cinnamon.
- Blend until smooth, adding more liquid if necessary.
- Add toppings and eat up!
WHAT’S YOUR GO-TO HEALTHY SMOOTHIE BOWL RECIPE? LEAVE SOME INSPIRATION IN THE COMMENTS BELOW!