Aside from wreaths and Christmas trees, for most of us, the past holiday season probably didn’t include much green. And really, who can blame us? Who’s going to choose kale over Christmas cookies? Spinach over spritzers?
Not me! And that’s ok. Trust me, I’m a dietitian/healthy food blogger.
Health is all about balanced day-to-day choices that result in simultaneously feeling nourished and not deprived. Let me put that in another, less convoluted way. Indulge in cookies because they’re delicious and frequently eaten in the company of people you love, but follow it up with a wholesome salad or, in this case, a green smoothie.
Ah, yes, the smoothie! Intentionally made with ingredients that are both wholesome and delicious (and conveniently located in my fridge at the time of recipe creation!).
- spinach: packed with tons of vitamins A (great for skin/eye health) & K (important for blood health), plus over a dozen anti-inflammatory & antioxidative phytonutrients! I use frozen chopped spinach for added ease.
- mango: awesome source of vitamin A (skin/eyes) & C (immune system). I use frozen mango chunks in my smoothies to make it thicker and keep it cold.
- siggi’s coconut skyr: adds protein (AKA keeps you full), more creaminess, and a bit of coconutty sweetness. This is one of my favorite yogurt brands!
- avocado: my favorite source of heart-healthy fat, making this smoothie super filling and creamy.
- ginger: great for gastrointestinal health, plus it adds a burst of fresh flavor.
Whether you sip this creamy green smoothie as a light breakfast or health snack, I encourage you to make it part of your balancing act.
- 1 cup frozen, chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup frozen mango chunks
- 1 container siggi’s coconut skyr
- 1/2 small avocado
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 2 ice cubes
- 1/2-1 cup water or almond milk (based on your texture preference)
- Add all ingredients to your blender & blend until smooth, adding water or almond milk as needed.