Not only did we sit down to the usual Thanksgiving feast (prepared by yours truly #humblebrag #girlwithherhandoutemoji), but we also frequented all of our family favorite restaurants, the first of which being Barnaby’s.
Barnaby’s is most known for its classic sandwiches, addictive fries, and colossal salads. And if you get really lucky, you’ll find yourself there on Baked Potato Soup night. My little sister came home from college early and surprised my parents with her presence last Monday night at Barnaby’s, and Barnaby’s surprised us back with an unexpected Baked Potato Soup appearance.
After I stole a few ultra-rich, over the top creamy bites from my sister, I started brainstorming ways I could recreate the cozy, soupy experience at home in a healthier way.
After a few simple swaps– sweet potato + frozen cauliflower in for white potatoes; chicken broth + cashew milk + a smidge of butter in for heavy cream & a LOT of butter– and all the usual toppings (come on, a girl’s gotta live), we were in business. Ready? Lezgo.
* Recipe *
- PREP TIME: 25 mins
- COOK TIME: 10 mins
- TOTAL TIME: 35 mins
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or cooking oil of choice)
- 1 medium sweet potato, cubed
- ¼ medium onion, sliced
- pinch of cayenne powder
- pinch of chili powder
- pinch of garlic powder
- 16 oz. bag of frozen cauliflower
- 1-3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon of butter, melted
- ½ cup unsweetened cashew milk (or milk of choice)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- toppings of choice– bacon, green onion, Greek yogurt, shredded cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and coat a sheet pan with avocado oil.
- Place your sweet potato and onions in a bowl, toss with oil and cayenne, chili, & garlic powder.
- Bake veggies for 25 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- While they’re in the oven, heat the bag of frozen cauliflower according to instructions on the package.
- Add thawed cauliflower, baked sweet potatoes, onions, a cup of broth, butter, and cashew milk to a large mixing bowl.
- Puree with an immersion blender (or in a pitcher blender), adding additional broth until the soup reaches your desired consistency.
- Season with salt & pepper, add desired toppings, and enjoy!