Hardly a day that passes that I’m not hungry between lunch and dinner around 3 or 4 pm. As a student, I often had the luxury of being at home during that time, with the ability to whip up a fruit and Greek yogurt parfait or slice of avocado toast on a whim. Don’t get me wrong, I realize that I’m still at a huge advantage as a Petite Professional when it comes to snack time. Working as the dietitian at Snap Kitchen, I have some serious square footage of chef-inspired, pre-prepared meals and snacks within an arm’s reach.
Still, it’s good to have options, and today those options consist of a list of 20 healthy snacks that are practically made for desk jockeys. But before we get into that, let’s go over my golden rules for snackage.
- Crosscheck that you’re actually hungry and not just bored. Chug a glass of water and give yourself 15 minutes. If at that point you’re still thinking about that protein bar stashed in your pencil drawer, green light.
- In most cases, a 100-200 calorie snack should do the trick. Remember, it’s a snack, not a fourthmeal. Leave that nasty to T Bell.
- Food combine!!! Try and get carbohydrate, protein, and some fat in your snacks. We often reach for carby stuff at snack time, leaving us hangry far before our next meal. Mitigate that response with some protein and fat. (note: not all of these snacks before will consist of P, F, & C. You may need some refrigerator resources to supplement the list below. As an example, add fresh apple slices to your Justin’s nut butter, or top a Greek yogurt with dried fruit.)
Alright, on to the list. *denotes a Paleo-friendly snack
- EPIC bars*
- Nick’s Sticks*
- Steve’s PaleoJerky*
- Brad’s Raw Kale Chips*
- Rhythm Superfoods Kale Chips*
- Trader Joe’s Just a Handful of Cashews*
- Trader Joe’s Just a Handful of Almonds*
- Avocado (salt, pepper, and sriracha are optional but recommended)*
- BoomChickaPop Sea Salt Popcorn
- Dried fruit (double check your labels and avoid those with added sugar)*
- Snap Kitchen Caveman Quickies*
- San Franola Co. granola
- Justin’s Dark Chocolate PB Cups (individually wrapped because I know you better than you know yourself)
- Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut Butter (again, go for the 80 calorie packs)
- Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Spice Rooibos*
- Oatmega bars
- KIND bars
- Two Moms in the Raw Nut Bars*
What are your favorite desk-friendly things to much on?