I often find that the months of November through January are the type that just kind of happen to you. Like, you go to bed on the night of Halloween, and then after about 60 days of pumpkin pie spice, extended family, chocolate peppermint, gift exchanges, and champagne toasts, you come out on the other side utterly exhausted. This year, I’m not really feeling that.
Hear me out, I’m not trying to be a Grinch, but I’d like to be a bit more intentional as I move into the new year. It’s when I spread myself too thin that I feel least like myself. I’m most centered when I leave room for eating well, working out, being creative, and spending quality time with the people I love most. That’s still totally in the holiday spirit, right? Right.
With my recent re-focus on nutrition and fitness, I’ve also made a point to prioritize my mental health, namely by choosing to do more things that I love and fewer things that I don’t. One thing that I love is being crafty. Another thing that I love is taking a luxurious bath after a week of strenuous workouts.
Ok, now we’re getting somewhere.
This Peppermint Mocha Body Scrub is positively scrumptious, despite the fact that the meaning of its life is to be slathered all over your body instead of eaten by the spoonful. Not only does it smell like a seasonal creation from the geniuses at Starbucks, but it also has tons of good-for-you skin benefits.
- Sugar: a gentle, all-natural exfoliant that won’t clog your skin with chemicals
- Coconut oil: a natural moisturizer that’s packed with antioxidant Vitamin E, which protects the skin
- Coffee: another way to naturally scrub away dead skin and reveal a fresh, smooth layer; it may also improve the appearance of cellulite and give skin a firmer appearance
- Cocoa: contains powerful antioxidants that can help protect your skin
- Peppermint oil: offers antimicrobial benefits and aids in oil secretion, leaving your skin soft and glowing! Plus the scent is totally energizing.
That’s a lot of good in one little jar! Time to raid your pantry and stir this stuff up for yourself and any worthy gift-receivers.
- 1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup coffee grounds
- 5-10 drops peppermint essential oil
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the coconut oil and brown sugar, folding with a rubber spatula to combine.
- Add the cocoa powder and coffee grounds, stirring until evenly incorporated.
- Add the peppermint essential oil until scrub reaches your desired minty-ness.
- Store in an airtight container for up to several months!